Tuesday, May 5, 2009

MARGIN

So, I have this compelling thought to really be aware of margin...in my day...in my life. Or maybe I should say...the absence of margin. "Life happens in the margins", I recently heard. Why is life so busy? Why do we feel drawn to add MORE to our days? Why do I feel guilty when there are dishes in the sink or when the floors are dirty? What makes us think that we are living life with un-limited time? There will always be things to do. And I KNOW in my Knower that when I choose the better thing in life (ex. time with my family, time with my dear friends, time to serve) I am never sorry. Life really does happen in the margins. Every time I schedule MARGIN...I am always more fulfilled, socially, spiritually. I feel like a better wife, mommy, friend...and the truth is...I AM a better wife, mommy and friend...when I have margin in my day. My favorite new thing? Bible Study in my van. I take my Bible and a study book...and my journal and I go early to get the boys from school. I sit in my van with my margin time....and I read...and I have time alone with God. I am contained. There are no dusty shelves to see...or dishes in the sink. It is good. And...I am always surprised at how quickly the time goes by...and how I crave MORE of it...MORE of Him. AND on the days when I blow it....when I think I can do 'one more thing' before I go to get the boys...and I make myself hurried...and there is NO margin...I am a different girl. I am grumpy and stressed...and not only do I suffer...but so do my kido's. Even my health suffers. It is amazing how when I rob myself from margin...those around me suffer too. In the morning when I hit the snooze one too many times....I rob myself of margin...and I rob my kids of margin too. How many times do I rob others of their margin, because I have tried to fit too much into my day?

My prayer:
Father, help me to see what really matters today. Help me to find balance. Help me to hunger for margin...and bless that margin! You always do! :) Help me more and more to LIVE IN THE MOMENT :)

1 comment:

  1. So well said- seriously, I want to print this out and post it in my office.

    Miss you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete