Thursday, September 23, 2010

Community

My husband is a big OSU fan. So, a couple of years ago, we took our two boys to see the spring game. I vividly remember walking into the Ohio State Horseshoe. It was an amazing feeling. I wont lie to ya, my eyes teared up. Not because of my love for the game because my football knowledge doesnt come close to most. My tears were a result of the overwhelming sense of community. There werent just "people" everywhere....there were "FANS" everywhere. A sense of "we have a specific in common" saturated the Shoe. Smiles. Cheers. Greeters. Hot dogs. Scarlet and gray. Noise. Turf. Stained glass. Class. I will never forget it. My husband jokes that the Shoe is "church for football". I can see why that is said. I get the same feeling when I go to my church. I get the same feeling when I go to a school basketball game. An Amy Grant concert. When I see another mother struggling with trying to reason to her seven-year-old in Walmart. You find yourself in this place...with people whom you know or dont know....but the REASON you are there joins your lives together...even if it is just for a moment.

I love community on every level. I love being in the stands with the crowd. I love having a common thread with others that I dont even know. But my heart smiles when I look at the Team. The team has a depth of community. It is sacred. It is heart-warming. It is inspiring. Each person on the team is drawn to one another. There is a togetherness with the team. A sense of "whether we are on the sidelines or on the field we are in this game together". They have each other's backs....and for a season, they are as close as family.


I love community.
Jesus demonstrates community in a simple way.
He was on earth for everyone....
He associated with everyone He could get near....
He was real with everyone He came in contact with...
But he chose to do life with 12 guys.
They prayed together.
They travelled together.
They ate dinner together.
They fished together.
They ministered together.
They cried together.
They cared for others, together.
No wonder we are drawn more to some people than to others. Not to say that we are a clique...or to say that we are exclusive in who we hang out with....there is just a simple depth to our community. I have many friends....but there are few that I crave to be with. There are a handful that I have not seen in a decade, but I know that when I do see them again, we will pick up right where we left off. What a gift it is when you find those people. Thankful today for those hearts that God entrusts to me. Praying that I can be the person that they need me to be...the person that God wants me to be for them.

May we be aware of all levels of community in our lives...may we be Christs hands and feet to all we meet. May we feel the weight of the hearts that God entrusts to us. I love community!

1 comment:

  1. I like this. You have a very sweet looking family! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete